Apply for an FFA Food for America Grant
The purpose of the Food for America Grant program is to provide financial support to those FFA chapters with top-notch plans for executing and evaluating, executed, and evaluated agriculture literacy activities.
What is agriculture literacy activity or program? Agriculture literacy programs, as defined by National Research Council, "develop people who understand and can communicate the source and value of agriculture as it affects our quality of life." In simple terms, agriculture literacy activities help students and peers explore and learn how agriculture impacts them and why it is important to themselves and their communities.
Activities that might meet this award include, but are not limited to expenses associated with:
- Day on the Farm programs
- Classroom Agriculture Presentations/activations
- Fair/Community Event Agriculture activation
$500 per grant. Applications are due July 31, 2023.
Request for Proposals:
- Proposal project must be targeted to grades PreK-12.
- Proposal should enhance student knowledge of the contribution made by agriculture as described by one or more of the themes of the National Agriculture Literacy Outcomes:
- Ag in the Environment
- Plants and Animals for Food, Fiber & Energy
- Food, Health & Lifestyle
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Culture, Society, Economy & Geography
- Proposed projects or events designed to reach large groups of students will be given preference, as will those that involve innovative approaches in agricultural literacy.
- Continuing, annual or on-going projects should show plans for improvement, expansion of program, or other changes the grant will help achieve.
Who Can Apply?
Wisconsin FFA Chapters who are in good standing.
Grant Selection: A judging committee will review all funding requests that are properly submitted by 11:59 p.m. on July 31, 2023.
Grants may be awarded for less than the full amount requested, based upon judges’ discretion and available funds.
All awarded grants must submit the final grant report by June 30, 2024.
*Grant reports submitted by May 1, 2024, will have the option to submit as 2024 Food for America Award application AND final grant report.
*Grant reports submitted AFTER May 1, 2024, will have the option to submit as 2025 Food for America Award application (pending project dates meet award criteria) AND final grant report.
Grant Scoring Overview :
- Goals and objectives of project – 20%
- Description of methods to implement project and how it enhances target audience awareness of agriculture – 40%
- Itemized budget summary – 20%
- Project timetable – 5%
- Methods to be used to measure the success of the project –10%
- Listing of local groups, individuals or other partnering organizations involved in the proposed project – 5%
- 100-word summary of the project for press releases and promotional purposes
Additional items to note.
- A chapter can submit more than one application but for different projects.
Application will close on July 31, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Questions can be directed to Beth Schaefer, Wisconsin Agriculture in the Classroom Coordinator by phone 608.828.5644 or email email@example.com.