Thank you for your interest in becoming a contract instructor for the City of Newport Beach Recreation & Senior Services Department. Please complete the application below.
What is a contract instructor?
A contract instructor is an independent contractor for the city, not an employee. A contract instructor signs a contract with the City to provide classes as described in a submitted proposal. Instructors do not rent our facilities, however a portion of the fees collected are retained by the City to cover facility usage, registration, administration, and promotion of your class in the Newport Navigator.
1. The City pays the contractor a percentage of the total enrollment fees collected, minus a $5 per person administration and all non-resident fees. Exceptions apply to the After Class Enrichment (A.C.E.) program.
2. Advertising is provided through the City's quarterly brochure, Newport Navigator, which is distributed to all Newport Beach residents. Any additional adverstisement is the responsibility of the contractor. Prior to distribution, additional promotional pieces must be approved by the Recreation & Senior Services Department.
3. The City requires a minimum $1,000,000 liability insurance coverage for classes and camps. The policy must name the City of Newport Beach as additional insured with endorsements attached. The City also offers an insurance option through SCMAF which is billed at a rate of $2 per participant/per class.
4. All contract instructors must obtain a City of Newport Beach business license.
5. All instructors, substitutes, aides, and assistants must be be fingerprinted and pass a background check prior to instructing classes and camps for the City of Newport Beach.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office by calling 949-644-3151 or emailing email@example.com.