The Hawaii County Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) is funded through a federal grant from the County of Hawaii. The program is led by Hawaii Community Lending and administered by nonprofit partners: HOPE Services Hawaii, Hawaii First Federal Credit Union, Neighborhood Place of Puna, Habitat for Humanity Hawaii Island, The Salvation Army, and Hawaii County Economic Opportunity Council. ERAP provides rent or utility payments from March 2020 through December 2021 to applicants who have been impacted directly by COVID-19 not to exceed 12 months of total assistance. Your household is only eligible to receive ERAP assistance from 1 nonprofit provider.
Rent and utility payments are only eligible for primary residences in the County of Hawaii. Applicants must earn at or below 80% area median income and verify proof of hardship due to COVID-19 for each month they receive assistance. Priority will be given to households with annual incomes less than 50% area median income with one or more members that have been unemployed for at least 90 days. Payments for approved applicants will be made directly to the landlord, property manager, or utility company. Approved applicants will also have access to financial counseling and housing stability services. Please complete this application and submit with required documents listed below to be considered for an ERAP grant.
Please complete the application and submit with required documents to be considered for a grant:
Proof of Resident and Age for Applicant
• Copy of photo ID
Income Documents for ALL household members (provide all that apply)
• All pages and schedules for 2020 Federal Tax Form
• 30 days most recent pay stubs
• 1 month most recent business bank statements (if self-employed)
• Unemployment or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefit letter
• Public benefit statement
• Other income documentation (i.e. child support or alimony letter, pension/retirement earning statement, etc)
Housing (provide 1 of the following)
• Copy of complete, current, and signed rental lease/contract
• Bank statements or cancelled checks verifying payment of monthly rent (if no signed lease)
• Bank statements or cancelled checks verifying payment of utilities for the residential unit (if no signed lease)
Proof of Hardship (provide 1 of the following)
• Unemployment or PUA approval letter
• Written attestation (request from nonprofit)
If requesting assistance for previous months
• Past due rent notice with amount owed
• Eviction notice with amount owed
• Past due utility notice
The items marked with (*) are required fields.