PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BEFORE APPLYING:
Thank you for your interest in adopting a cat through Almost Home Canine Rescue! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
All cats are:
*Spayed or neutered prior to adoption (including kittens)
*Evaluated for temperament
*Given age appropriate vaccinations (distemper and rabies)
*Given flea and tick preventatives
GENERAL ADOPTION FEES:
*Adult cat: $100
- Submit an Adoption Application. Please complete each question.
- REFERENCES: Please contact your veterinarian and personal references to let them know we will be calling and to release information to us. Please ensure the name on this application is the one listed at the vet. If not, please let the name at the vet your current animals are listed under. Also, please be sure to list accurate telephone numbers of your references. This is the portion of the process that takes us the longest to do, and ensuring your references call us back helps the process move along more quickly.
- PRE-ADOPTION HOME VISIT: This home visit provides us an opportunity to get to know you and for you to get to know more about us and the rescue animal you are interested in adopting. This also helps us see if an animal would be a good fit for the energy and layout of your home. We are not there to judge your home; we just want to ensure our animals will be safe in your home and be a good fit in your home. WE DO NOT BRING ANIMALS ALONG TO HOME VISITS. You must be approved prior to meeting with an animal unless it is at one of our scheduled meet and greets. This allows us to ensure you are approved prior to meeting an animal. Once you are approved, you may meet the animal :) PLEASE NOTE: You can still apply for animals if you live out of state. We do have volunteers all over that can help complete the home visit. We can also do home visits via FaceTime or a video if needed!
- Once the home visit has been completed, we get you in contact with the foster parents so you can set up a time to meet the animal. We encourage you to have your current pets meet the new animal. Please note that it often takes time for animals to get used to a new environment and your current pets and your new animals should ALWAYS have SLOW introductions. If you have any questions about this, PLEASE reach out. We have a basic trainer as part of our team who is willing to speak with anyone about this.
- AHCR does NOT do a 2-week trial period unless pre-arranged with the adopter and okayed by the adoption team. Certain animals and families with specific needs may be able to have trial periods.
- All of our animals are microchipped. Almost Home Canine Rescue registers these microchips so that both our information as well as the adopters' information is on the chip in case the animal is ever lost of abandoned. The adopter provides us with the names and phone numbers they would like on the chip, but does NOT register the chip.
- We deposit any checks roughly 2 weeks after the adoption has taken place. It can take 3-4 weeks for the check to be deposited. If you do not want to wait 4 weeks, please make the adoption donation with cash. Cash needs to be the EXACT amount as our fosters do not carry change for your convenience. Thank you for understanding!
- We are always here to help. We want this adoption to be successful, and we always are here to give advice. Please note that we reserve the right to check in on the animal, especially if we are concerned that they are not being taken care of properly.
- Sometimes we have multiple applications for 1 animal. Please understand that we do our best to choose the home we feel is the best fit for the animal. This does not mean that you aren't a good adoptive family; we just may not think the animal would do well in your home. We may not decide until after we have done home visits for multiple families and we appreciate your cooperation and patience. Thank you for understanding.
- We often do home checks for multiple applicants before deciding which home may be the best fit for an animal. We know this can be a lengthy process, and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please remember that we are all volunteers at AHCR and have other responsibilities outside of rescue. If you ever have any questions about your application, please email us!
- We will consider long distance adoptions, as long as a home visit can be completed and the adopter is willing to travel to South Dakota to pick up their new animal.
- We do expect adopters to drive to the foster family's home to pick up their new animal. If a volunteer happens to be traveling your direction, we will assist in the transport, but this is not always possible and should not be counted on.
- Our adoption fees are set so that we can afford to provide each of the animals in our case with the appropriate vetting they need to be healthy and happy.
- We do not allow our cats to be declawed
- We expect that our animals will be part of a family, not housed outside in a kennel. Applicants should understand that we expect these animals to be kept inside unless otherwise stated.
- The foster animals are not available to be seen until AFTER an adoption is approved.
Please understand that we are trying to find a responsible, loving and stable home for our very special rescue animals that have lost their homes for reasons outside their control. For this reason the application process must be very thorough. We strive to place our rescued animals in homes that will provide a Forever home. We do not want to put any animal through the adoption process more than once as it is stressful to them. We do allow our foster homes to play a big role in the selection of their foster animal's new home. They know their animal better than anyone and they love their animals like family. For this reason, we feel it is important that they help choose the home for their foster animal.
Please Note: During the adoption process we review applications, conduct telephone interviews, call references, and conduct home visits. Our ultimate goal is to place each pet in our care into a home best matching the lifestyle and environment that individual pet requires. We want to make sure that the match is there and once the animal gets adopted this will be without a doubt his forever family. Almost Home does not have a facility and relies solely on the kindness of volunteers to foster our animals. Each of these volunteers leads a busy life with their own family and their own pets to care for in addition to the volunteer work they do for us. Consequently, we do not make arrangements for the public to meet the pets in foster care until the adoption process has been completed. The care of our animals (especially those who need emergent care) always comes before the applications. Please feel free to reach out with questions, but understand there is a lot that goes on in rescue that is not outwardly visible to the public. We try our best to be thorough and timely, but sometimes we have to put our own lives and the needs of the animals first. Please do not hesitate to reach out about the status of your application via email or Facebook.
**IF YOU DO NOT HEAR BACK FROM US WITHIN 10 DAYS, PLEASE REACH OUT TO US. WE HAVE HAD ISSUES WITH PEOPLE SUBMITTING THEIR APPLICATIONS AND WE NEVER RECIEVE IT**