Road Occupancy Permit   
  The Corporation of the Town of Pelham
20 Pelham Town Square. Fonthill, ON L0S 1E0 Tel. (905) 892-2607 Fax (905) 892-5055

Submission of an application is required for any work involving the use of a public right‐of‐way.

A plan or sketch must accompany this application and shall reflect the following requirements:

- All plans must be drawn to scale, and the scale must be noted on the plan;
- All relevant dimensions (i.e. width of sidewalk, back of sidewalk to street/property lines and to building wall, etc.) must be shown;
- Tie in measurements to all above grade installations;
- All street names and municipal addresses must be noted;
- All physical details of the site must be shown (i.e. sidewalk, trees, utility/hydro poles, fire hydrants, parking meters, etc.);
- North arrow must be shown;
- Location of street/property lines must be noted;
- Proposed work must be clearly indicated.

This application is to be forwarded to the Town of Pelham one (1) week prior to any construction within the municipal right‐of‐way.

This application is to be forwarded to the Public Works & Utilities Department of the Town of Pelham at the address noted above or by email.


You will require a Right‐of‐Way Occupation Permit prior to commencing any works involving open‐cut excavation or boring within a municipal road allowance or starting a demolition, renovation, and/or construction project if you are planning to temporarily occupy any portion of the public right‐of‐way (the area beyond a private property line, i.e. boulevard, sidewalk, roadway or public lane) with any equipment of material.

Where work involves the obstruction of pedestrian and/or vehicular traffic, you may be required to have a qualified traffic control person(s) to direct traffic, as well as a suitable traffic control plan in accordance with provisions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act & Regulations 213/91. For street, sidewalk and/or public lane closures, a detailed letter outlining how the right‐of‐way is to be used, including the duration of the closure, together with a proposed work schedule, must be submitted with your application.

For demolition, construction, and renovation projects you are required to provide confirmation that a permit has been obtained from the Town of Pelham Building Department prior to the issuance of the Right‐of‐Way Occupation permit.

It is the responsibility of the contractor/owner to ensure that the roadways, sidewalks and public laneways are kept clean of mud/dirt as well as the removal of snow and ice from the sidewalks during the winter months.

At the sole discretion of the Director of Public Works & Utilities, an Applicant may be required to deposit cash in an amount specified by the Director to secure his/her performance with the conditions of the permit.

If further information is required, please contact the Public Works & Utilities Department at 905‐892‐2607 extension 332.